NABOKV-L post 0024646, Tue, 1 Oct 2013 16:54:02 +0300

Re: french terms in pale fire
volant en arrière is simply "flying backwards".
"Feuilles-d'alarme" is not a current French term at all, although it may have been in decades past. It literally means "alarm leaves". From the context it is possible to imagine what is meant.


Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 15:10:44 +0300
From: yigit.yavuz@GMAIL.COM
Subject: [NABOKV-L] french terms in pale fire

Dear colleagues,

My Turkish traslation of Pale Fire will soon be published by Iletisim Publishing House in Istanbul.

I need your help for two expressions in French:

feuilles-d'alarme and volant en arrière.

"He claimed to have improved the glitter and rattle of the so-called feuilles-d'alarme used by grape growers and orchardmen to scare the birds."

"From far below mounted the clink and tinkle of distant masonry work, and a sudden train passed between gardens, and a heraldic butterfly volant en arrière, sable, a bend gules, traversed the stone parapet, and John Shade took a fresh card."

What explanations may be given as translator's notes?


Yiğit Yavuz

Google Search the archive
Contact the Editors
Visit "Nabokov Online Journal"
Visit Zembla
View Nabokv-L Policies
Manage subscription options
Visit AdaOnline
View NSJ Ada Annotations
Temporary L-Soft Search the archive

All private editorial communications are
read by both co-editors.

Search archive with Google:

Contact the Editors:,
Visit Zembla:
View Nabokv-L policies:
Visit "Nabokov Online Journal:"

Manage subscription options: